Project Broadtail is a citizen science project that help us better understand the Broad-tailed Hummingbird, a bird of conservation concern that is common but declining in the state of Utah. Participants will document Broad-tailed Hummingbirds that they see around their home and in recreational areas. With this information, we can learn important information about Broadtail distribution patterns, habitat associations, and migration timing, and ultimately increase our understanding of how to conserve this important bird!
Participation is free and open to all! We accept observations for the entire time that Broad-tailed Hummingbirds are in our region- approximately April through September.
Interested in joining? Click the button below to register!
More information will be sent via email once you have signed up.
Attend a Project Broadtail Hummingbird Hike!
Help us find Broad-tailed Hummingbirds on our weekly field trips! No training or previous knowledge required, we'll teach you everything you need to know.
Friday 08/18/2017 - Cecret Lake @ 9:30 A.M.
Saturday 08/26/2017 - Lake Mary @ 9:30 A.m.
COLLECTING AND SUBMITTING OBSERVATIONS
Once you have registered with the Tracy Aviary:
- Keep an eye (and ear) out for male Broad-tailed Hummingbirds while hiking and biking, or at your feeders and in your garden.
- Record the following data for each of your male Broad-tailed observations:
- Sky condition
- Wind condition
- Method of identification (sound, sight, both)
- Number of Broad-tailed Hummingbirds
- Behavior (flying, feeding at flowers, at a feeder, etc.)
- Presence of a nest
- Other observations
- Submit data online through inaturalist.org, or turn/mail in paper data sheets
To create an inaturalist account:
- Go to inaturalist.org and sign up for free.
- Search projects and join Project Broadtail SLC.
- Simply add observations and photos (if applicable) to the project! (Observations can be added directly on the project homepage or uploaded to your personal account and then added to the project)
An iNaturalist App is also available for download to easily submit observations in the field!
Printable data sheets are available for download to use in the field!